A hearty vegetable soup perfect for winter (I have a thing for barley). Recipe courtesy of The Saturday Evening Post.
(Makes 8 to 10 servings)
- 2 gallons water or beef stock
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 bunch carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup turnip, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 basil leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2-3 tablespoons tamari (soy sauce)
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
Prepare vegetables, add them and tamari to soup. Cook until vegetables are almost tender.
Heat margarine in small saucepan. Stir in flour, cook 1 minute. Add 2 cups stock, stir until well blended. Add mixture to soup. Simmer until soup thickens. Taste for seasoning, adding more tamari if necessary. Serve in large tureen. Accompany with slabs of thick dark buttered bread.